Modeled after Ivy League universities in the United States, IDC Herzliya was founded in 1994 by renowned Israeli professor Uriel Reichman as a private, nonprofit institution of higher education that does not rely on government subsidies. IDC Herzliya’s founders sought to create an Israeli university where personal achievement goes hand in hand with social responsibility.
IDC Herzliya is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in education and research and to training future leaders by offering innovative, interdisciplinary, educational programs which combine academic study with practical, hands-on training.
From the beginning, IDC has adopted a unique approach to education: the institution takes an interdisciplinary point of view with the understanding that students need to learn a number of disciplines so that they can succeed in and understand different professions. A strong global approach also has been important from the outset.
Entrepreneurship is a key element in an IDC education, which cultivates creative thinking. IDC has developed special programs in various fields of entrepreneurship, not only in business but also in government and society.
Did you know?
- 25% of IDC Herzliya’s students come from over 80 countries around the world.
- IDC Herzliya offers a choice of 60 exchange programs with leading academic institutions worldwide.
- IDC hosts academic conferences and professional seminars, which have become platforms for leading decision-makers from around the world.
- IDC brings a distinctive new experience to Israeli academia. Its academic approach is characterized by an interdisciplinary spirit and its organizational framework (non-profit) ensures its financial independence.
- The Zell Entrepreneurship Program for outstanding undergraduates has established companies that have attracted over hundreds of millions of dollars.
- IDC Herzliya has been ranked number one, for the fifth time, in a national survey gauging students’ satisfaction with their academic institutions. The survey is conducted for the National Union of Israeli Students and this year, polled 10,000 students across 36 academic institutions nationwide.
The Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya
Natan Alterman St, Herzliya 46150, Israel Tel: +972 9 9602750 ; Fax: +972 9 9527686 Web: www.idc.ac.il
“IDC Herzliya is a dream that was realized, an academic institution that changed the face of higher education in Israel and became a successful, pioneering model and a source of inspiration.
The successful realization of the vision for IDC Herzliya is proof of how vital different and revolutionary thinking is, even if it is seen as insane at the time.”
Prof. Uriel Reichman
President and Founder of IDC Herzliya
״We are too small to be an average nation. We must be an excellent nation and IDC Herzliya is about excellence. That is its area of expertise.”
9th President of Israel
With Prof. Reichman at IDC Herzliya Commencement, May 2012